Is it just me or are most tutorials for curly messy buns done by people with hair that has at most a hint of wave and for sure not anything approaching the crazy curly strands you live with every day ?
Or say you find a tutorial that looks promising … only thing is doing first quarter calculus would be easier.
Of course many of us aren’t the most gifted when it comes to styling unruly curly locks. No harm in that. That could also be why you’re here.
Or it could be you are just curious about how to style easy messy buns for curly hair since such tutorials are hard to find. Especially if they really are easy.
The good news is you’re about to see three approaches that are similar yet different. The similar part being they truly are easy.
Not sure these videos qualify as something you’ve waited your whole life for but you should find styles that truly deliver. Yeah cute curly hair styles doable by someone like you and me.
Quick Section Navigation
Let’s start with how to create your next messy bun in 2 minutes. Which is to say this one is perfect if you’re in a hurry, running late or somehow in a time crunch.
Easy Messy Buns Reimagined
This one like truly celebrates curly hair.
- Step 1) Pull your curls up into a loose pony.
- Step 2) Wrap the hair tie twice keeping things somewhat loose so as not to stress your strands.
- Step 3) Taking small sections of hair, loop one and pin in place.
- Step 4) Do this all around with like five or six smaller sections.
Just goes to show that voluminous natural curls really can turn heads when styled into a fabulously big, bold, tousled messy bun style like this one.
Tip: Pay attention to the point about keeping the wrap loose. This is something you should always try to do when pulling your curls up into a ponytail so you don’t trash your natural curl pattern inadvertently.
The other thing is this takes advantage of the often overlooked fact that curly hair can be messy and still look undeniably gorgeous.
No other hair types can say that. So rock it with amazing styles like this.
Ordinary hair? Never again!
Okay so let’s move on to another bun hairstyle that is just perfect for second, or is that third, day curls that have a slept on hangover and don’t quite look as fresh you may like.
5 Minute Curly Messy Bun Tutorial
Even if you’re down to your last hair tie and last three bobby pins you can still pull off this curly hair messy bun in just seven easy steps.
- Step 1) Create a tight ponytail.
- Step 2) Split it in two.
- Step 3) Twist and loosely wrap one half around the other creating a bun and pin the end.
- Step 4) Split the remaining half of the pony tail in two.
- Step 5) Again wrap one of the halves around the bun you just made and pin the end.
- Step 6) You have several options with the remaining piece – you’ll want to watch and see which works best for you.
- Step 7) Loosen the bun as much or as little as you wish.
Tip: About that loosening, you likely don’t need the reminder but don’t forget that with curly hair, the more you mess with it, the frizzier it tends to get.
Next you will see how these two buns play up your texture to add a touch of sophisticated flair.
Here’s Your New Go-To Bun Plus a Spare
Let’s start with the spare which she calls a messy bun with a faux fringe.
- Step 1) Pull everything up into ponytail.
- Step 2) Gather the strands to create a bun.
- Step 3) Wrap with hair elastic leaving the ends out.
- Step 4) Play around with pinning any pieces into the back of the bun that you don’t want hanging down while pulling others out to frame your face.
The idea is to let any runaway tendrils or curls flow free to get a style that will stand out from the crowd.
Tip: If hair ties are not strong enough to hold your these no slip grip clips are what she uses to keep those textured tresses under control. You may find them to be life savers.
Then it’s on to how to do her go-to piled high style.
- Step 1) Pull your hair up.
- Step 2) Wrap all the hair around to form a bun.
- Step 3) You can either hair tie or use a claw clip to secure it. Using bobby pins to fasten down as needed.
- Step 4) Loosen the hair on your crown all around to soften the look as much or as little as you want.
Again these are perfect for a girl on the go who has somewhat longer strands to work with.
Tip: If you have baby hairs going wild so your hair line looks totally frizzy and messy you might want to try styling cream to keep them in line. Or maybe a gel like this one from Tresseme can help
The nice thing about any of these is if you need to do an emergency style rescue you can make it happen in minutes in the restroom.
And if you’re hungry for more you’ll find it on our popular pins board on Pinterest. Please be sure to follow us.