While ponytails are often total lifesavers perhaps you’re stuck in a ho-hum ponytail rut?
Or maybe you want something more creative that’s “knot” the everyday default style you resort to when pulling your hair up in the morning.
What about variations that can help you pull together the perfect pony again and again? Without telling you how to style your hair would having some ideas like that be helpful?
Well that’s what this article has for you and then some.
Okay looks like this burning question involves ways to get out of your boring ponytail rut. Not to stop wearing one mind you, just to stop wearing the same one day after day.
I mean, c’mon now. There are plenty of options. Which is why I suspect you’ll find the ideas shared here are perfect for those looking for new ideas when it comes to cute ponytail styles that are quick and easy too.
Yeah but first, why is the pony our look de jour?
Not surprisingly, according to a survey taken by Goody, six out of 10 women cited speed as to why they resort to quickly pulling their hair back so often. Basically it’s that how fast you can pull a look together with this style that makes it so popular.
To add to that most would agree it’s a favorite because it’s the perfect look for your on the go lifestyle. Talk about last minute elegance. A pony can be smart, flirty, and fun all at the same time.
This also works as a fine hair style. Or one you can add to your list of long layered looks. You can quickly pull a fresh and flattering look out of what moments before was a limp and lifeless one. Not to mention this style can really comes through for you should humidity levels zoom off the charts. Which is likely most of the summer for many.
Besides it can serve as your fallback when the Hair Fairy Godmother didn’t grant you your wish of luscious locks for the day leaving you with the prospect of a bad hair day instead. In other words is can save the day.
Plus they’re a versatile look with plenty of variations.
- You could braid your hair up front and lead into the pony.
- You can wear it high, low or on the side.
- Your hair can be slicked back or poofed up.
- It’s also fabulous showing off a mega-dose of shine without being fussy.
Still just because you can do all those things doesn’t mean we embrace or even understand all our options. Hence the question about cute ponytail hair styles.
Of course you could do something as simple as slip a headband on and you’ve got an interesting and different style. But I suspect you didn’t stop by for that kind of solution.
Assuming you know about the typical garden variety ponytail we are going to share four variations on the theme that will let you.
- Go high
- Go volumized
- Go low
- Get a bump
Each of these hairstyles is demonstrated with a short video. This way you can pick and choose which one you want to learn now. And why not bookmark this page so you can come back when you need inspiration in the future. Because as you can see, when you’re finished you’ll have four distinct ponytail styles to choose from on any given day. Which should eliminate the excuse for the repetitive boring look you may do day after day for lack of ideas.
Let’s start with
High Time Pony Tricks
There’s a bit more to a high pony than it might seem. It’s aided and abetted by working with second day hair since the extra texture can help keep things on the up and up. In other words you’ll get a bit better hold with second day hair.
- Trick#1: The most important trick to a high ponytail is to pull your hair straight up not back like you normally would.
- Trick #2: Second stylist trick? You want to go higher than you think you need to when pulling the hair back.
- Trick #3: Use a little bungie cord elastic to hold the hair high. You double wrap this around the base of the pony so you can hook the end hooks together. This will keep your pony high and avoid any of the typical sliding down that so many complain about with this type of style.
- Trick#4: Now there’s no need to reveal all your styling tricks. To hide that holder take a section of hair from the underside, back comb just a bit, spritz with hair spray and brush lightly to smooth it out. Then wrap it around the holder for a more elegant look. Secure the end with a bobby pin.
- Trick #5: If you like you can take sections of the pony and back comb those upper layers. Then let them lie and smooth with a paddle brush. This teased look give you oodles of volume even for those with thin fine hair styles.
- Trick #6: Most any look like this will leave you with some flyaway strands that are too short to stay pulled back. A bit of hair spray spritzed and then run over the sides with your hand will get those under control. Or another tip would be to grab an old toothbrush and use that to deal with any pop up strands.
Next would be one that’s
Spirited and Volumized
This approach starts with flat iron straightened hair. That’s about one and half minutes of this three and a half minute video.
That done we finally get to the meat of how to do this style. You want to divide the top of your hair into two roughly equal sections front and back. The back half is pulled into your garden variety pony tail.
Next is what makes this one distinct. You will take small sections of the front portion of hair, tease the hair nearest to your scalp lightly, spritz with hair spray and let it fall into place. Repeat three or four times with the remaining hair. Gather it all together, give it a little twist and pin it with the ends draped over the ponytail to get a different kind of look.
Look number three in our list of ponytail hairstyles goes
Stunningly Low With a Twist
Another elegant variation on the style is to position your pony low in back wearing it at the base of your neck. The effect is totally feminine and is felt to be more a more dressy look than those ponies worn higher. Even more so when you add a twist. Here’s how.
Take the other section and twist it from the back of your ear down.
Wrap the twist around the base of the your pony. If your hair is long enough you can wrap it a couple of times and then pin it into place.
The result is a neat, sleek look that’s super cute yet super easy.
Adoringly Bumped Without Teasing
- You’ll need a brush, obviously
- Flexible hold aerosol hairspray
- Scunci or Goody hair elastic
- A tiny clip
The key is to have an elastic that holds the pony in place just right.
Lift your hair like you’re going to a half updo and spritz with hairspray giving it time to dry.
Smooth but don’t brush too much.
Then pull back and put in the elastic squeezing it against your head.
Push the bump part up and out. The trick used is worth knowing. And voila!
When all else fails a ponytail can help you get your look together in no time. Perfect for those mornings when you hit the snooze alarm one time too many or you simply don’t feel all that inspired. If you find ponytails to be challenging now you have four tutorials that help take any trickiness out of pulling off a stylish ponytail. With four looks that take you well beyond the traditional pull it back and wrap it with an elastic style too.
For more styling inspiration please be sure to follow our popular pins board on Pinterest.